Over the years we have sold many lake cabins. Often times lake homes are seasonal cabins and not occupied year round, making it a great target for trespassers. With summer in full swing, we have come up with some ideas to maximize lake cabin protection from theft and/or vandalism while you are away.
Lake cabin protection tips from theft and/or vandalism:
- Take pictures and video of your property and belongings inside and outside of your home. Make an itemized list of your valuables. This can be very helpful for insurance purposes if you ever have an issue.
- Lock all doors and windows. If you do not have deadbolts you may want to consider purchasing. Don’t forget to lock storage sheds/buildings and remember to place a piece of wood in patio door tracks.
- Install interior lights with timers that automatically go on and off periodically. This gives the appearance that someone is occupying the home.
- Install an exterior motion light.
- Consider installing a security system. There are many options with sound and video options. Some systems you can even monitor from your smart phone. Heartland Security and ADT are a few Minnesota Security System Companies to choose from.
- Place security stickers and signs on your property to detract unwanted guests.
- Avoid leaving valuable items in plain sight. Put gear away when not in use.
- Never leave keys in your water toys (boats, jet skis, etc.)
- Invite your neighbors to report any suspicious activity at your Lake cabin, especially when you are not there. Creating a neighborhood contact list is a great way to stay in touch with your neighbors who are a great resource for helping protect your lake cabin.
Don’t Worry, Live Easy
Think about your lake cabin protection today by using some of the tips we provided. We hope you enjoy your summer lake cabin and can relax knowing it is safe and secure.