Get organized & prepared now so the holidays can be less stressful and more enjoyable.
Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas cookie baking and holiday cooking are just around the corner. Let us help you make it the most enjoyable time of the year with these simple tips.
Prepare Your Kitchen
- Reduces Clutter. Think about your counter space, and how to maximize your working surfaces. What items do you “need” on the counter top and what could be stored away or given away if not used.
- Check Your Spices and Ingredients. Spices do go bad. If you smell them and they no longer have a distinctive odor, throw them. Check expiration dates on canned goods, oils, basic baking supplies. Plan ahead and restock items needed for your holiday baking needs.
- Easier Access. Really stop to look at how your kitchen items are arranged. Are they in the most practical places to be most efficient for your cooking processes? Maybe now would be a good time to empty cupboards and take inventory of what is stashed away. Are there items that are not being used and could be donated? Keep like items together and the items you need the most in the most accessible location. Consider using mounted door organizers for small items like spices or seasonings. Use labels to help keep things organized.
- Consider Storage. The holidays usually come with MANY leftovers. Keep all your storage containers together and plan ahead for easy left over storage options.
- Clean The Appliances. Now is a great time to clean your stove, microwave and fridge. Take inventory of what you have in your refrigerator, discard any outdated condiments, keep like items together and consider investing in clear plastic bins to help organize your food and space. One good example is to use a bin to store soda cans or to keep kid friendly snacks at eye level.
- Make Room To Move. Holiday cooking usually involves a number of people in the kitchen. Make as much room for people to move as possible. Plan ahead for the use of extra outlets for things like crockpots and pressure cookers. Have a plan for space to allow cookies to cool and to be decorated.
- Prepare Dishes and Utensils. Wash your holiday dishes, glassware and utensils ahead of time so things are ready to go when needed. Sharpen knives, locate electric knives, mixers, measuring cups, and all of the parts and pieces needed for the heavy duty cooking to come.
- Add Some Festive Colors/Decorations. Make your kitchen festive for the holidays by adding some colorful seasonal items such as hand towels, potholders, table runner/linens, candles and soap dispensers.
- Get Shopping. Start a grocery and shopping list for items you know you will need. What are your go-to family favorites? What is something fun you can try this holiday season? Start watching for specials or discounts and buy ahead as you can.
Are you wishing your home had more kitchen space or that it functioned better? Maybe now is the time to start looking for something that might work better for your family. If you are interested in learning more about our options or about why now is a great time to buy, we will be happy to help you find a modular or manufactured home that meets your needs and expectations.View Our Floor Plans