Manufactured and Modular Home FAQ’s
Contact us today if your questions are still not answered.
Can I design my own Manufactured or Modular house plans?
- Yes, there are a variety of options. Bring us your ideas, drawings, plans from another company, or you can start with our plans. Although we cannot build every single plan that a site-builder may be able to build, we can come close. We have numerous options to choose from that can accommodate your wants and needs. Bring us anything you have and we’ll let you know what we can do with it.
How do I get a quote for a Manufactured or Modular home? How long does it take?
Since pricing can vary so much it is very important to have the following items in place prior to contacting our sales department for a price quote:
- Location: Where are you going to build? If you already own the property you are one step ahead. Until exact location is determined we are unable to prepare accurate pricing.
- Budget: How much do you want to spend? Have you secured financing with a lender, if applicable?
- Home Type: Are you looking to build a modular or manufactured home?
When you are ready for a price quote please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 320-587-4990 to speak with our sales team. The time frame for a quote varies based on each situation. During times that we are experiencing a higher than normal volume of inquiries the quoting process will take longer.
What are the advantages of building a factory built home?
- Cost and efficiency are a couple advantages of building a factory built home. For more advantages….click here for more information.
What is the difference between Modular & Manufactured homes?
- Modular homes are built to local and state building codes and standards, known as the IBC. International Building Code is the standard to which all site built structures are also constructed to.
- Manufactured Homes are built to a federally mandated building code, known as HUD code.
Does Schult Homes have a factory home outlet center?
- No, all Schult Manufactured & Modular Homes are sold through licensed dealers. Excelsior Homes has been a licensed Schult Home Dealer for over 40 years.
Is there a difference in the foundation each type of home must be built on?
- Yes, there are some differences.
- Modular homes are built specifically to be placed on a basement or crawl space foundation, also known as perimeter permanent foundation. This foundation must meet or exceed all local and state building codes and it must be frost protected or built below the required frost line.
- Manufactured homes can be constructed to be built on multiple foundation types and are required by building code to be frost protected. The most common type of foundation built for manufactured homes are frost piers, extending below the required frost line. Manufactured homes can also be designed to be placed on slabs, but require an engineered design. Each of these foundation types must also be frost protected and meet manufacturer’s requirements and building codes.
What sizes and styles of homes can I purchase from Excelsior Homes?
- Any size home is available. Typically, our homes are built in 14’ wide sections but we can also build them anywhere from 12’ to 16’ wide sections….this means that we can build up to a 30’ wide double section home. We can also build homes with multiple sections…3,4,5,6, etc. In terms of square footage, our homes range from 400 sq. ft to 10,000 sq. ft. You name your style – Rambler / Ranch / 2-Story / Cape Cod / Lofts / Chalet / Cabins / Hunting Shacks / Split Level / Split Foyer / Farm Style / Green Homes
- You name it, we’ll build it! Bring us your plans and ideas.
Are your prices affordable?
- Yes, by offering a variety of home types we hope to you can find a home that fits into your budget.
Do you offer “on-site” construction services?
- Yes, we are a licensed General Contractor in Minnesota and North Dakota. We can take care of your entire housing project from start to finish or any phase of construction you would like us to handle, dependent upon building location.
- Excavation / Basements / Garages / Septic Systems / Water Wells / Plumbing / Heating, Venting, & Cooling / Geo-Thermal / Electrical / Decks / Sheds/ Landscaping / Building Permits / Etc…
Can I trade in my current manufactured home?
- In many cases, yes. In order to determine the trade-in value we would need to set up an appointment to view your home.
How far do you travel to build a new home?
- We have a wide delivery area. We have built homes throughout Minnesota and into Wisconsin, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Nebraska.
Do you offer financing?
- There are various lenders who specialize specifically in Manufactured Home Financing. These loans are personal property loans and usually require a minimum of 5 – 10% cash down or trade equity. Generally, the higher your down payment and FICO score the lower the interest rate. Land/Home loans, also known as Chattel Loans, are also available. Contact us for more information.
- A couple manufactured home financing options include:
- Financing for our Modular Homes is the same as it would be for any conventionally built home, with the exact same rates and terms. Most loans are backed by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, VA, or USDA. Contact your personal banker or mortgage lender or contact us for local recommendations.