Our team at Excelsior Homes loves celebrating with our customers when buying and moving into a new home. Whether it’s your first home or your fifth, buying a new home is exciting. Our society recognizes the moving process by hosting house warming parties, congratulating each other on our new homes, and almost always offering to help one another with the task of moving.
We’ve put together a few tips to help make moving a little easier. If you have tip you would like to share with others anticipating a big move, please post it on our Facebook page!
5 Tips for an Easier Move
- Carefully label moving boxes. Instead of labeling them with the room you packed them in, label them with the room you wish them to be placed in the new home. There are items you will need immediately, and others you may not wish to unpack for a couple weeks or months.
- Use ziplock bags for small pieces when disassembling items. Use a marker to write what the pieces belong to. One strategy is to tape each ziplock to the underside of the main pieces, and another strategy is to keep all the bags of small pieces together in one box, such as your toolbox. It is important to be consistent though, so you don’t question later where the necessary pieces are located.
- Snap pictures with your phone of how things go together and/or come apart. This is helpful for electronics and cord configurations too. Text the picture to the person who is going to help with reassembly.
- Pack a box of essentials that you keep with you in the car and carry in first to the house. Leave in an easily assessable location and clearly communicate with everybody that it’s there. Things to add to the box include: scissors, tape, standard and Philips screwdriver, hammer, plyers, Advil, Band-Aids, paper towels, all purpose cleaner, cell phone charger, and phone book.
- If people tell you they are not available to help move but would like to help, ask for assistance babysitting young children, watching pets, or providing an oven ready meal. People do like to help, so let them!
Excelsior Homes is excited to help each and every customer find their dream home. If you have questions about our modular homes or trends in amenities, please don’t hesitate to call us or stop by!