Cold, snowy winter weather has arrived in Minnesota. Is your home ready? There are many things that you can do to keep your home safe and warm. Ideally these things are done before the cold and snow arrive, but better late than never. Here are some winter home safety tips to get you started.
Winter Home Safety Tips
- Check your heating system. Have your heating system serviced professionally to make sure that it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside.
- Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys.
- Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows.
- Test your smoke detectors. Check your batteries monthly and replace them twice a year.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector or test the batteries if you already have one.
- Consider having a safe alternate heating source available.
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
- Clean out gutters and repair roof leaks.
- Check clothes dryer vent and remove lint build-up to allow proper airflow.
- Replace your furnace filter and do this more often during the winter months to keep them operating efficiently.
These tips are helpful for any home, whether they are manufactured, modular or stick-built. Keep your home safe, warm and efficient this winter. If you have questions about the maintenance of a manufactured or modular home purchased from Excelsior Homes let us know.Contact Excelsior Homes